Last summer we started our summer exploring the glorious ocean. We didn’t get around to doing this awesome layers of the ocean activity. Last summer we made a watercolor diagram of the layers of the ocean. This is a fun and easy activity that helps your littles understand the layers of the ocean.
1. Mix all your liquids
- Trench Zone- corn syrup with black food coloring
- Abyss- Dish soap with a hint of red food coloring
- Midnight Zone- Water with blue food coloring
- Twilight Zone- Oil ( We all know oil doesn’t mix with water so we couldn’t add food coloring)
- Sunlight Zone- Rubbing Alcohol with a hint of blue food coloring
2. Pour liquids into Vase or Jar
- Start with the bottom of the ocean the Trench Zone and then work your way up.
- Slowly pour the dish soap next
- Take your time to add the next layer of water. We learned that if you pour the water onto the dish soap layer too fast you’ll get a bunch of bubbles.
- Next slowly add your oil
- For the final layer you’ll need a dropper. This layer is the sunlight zone, use the dropper to slowly add alcohol to the top of the oil
There you have it! There are so many versions of this activity. I was inspired from the activity by Jenae from Icanteachmychild.com
Check out our quick Youtube Short of this activity.
Check out our Ocean Zone water color acitvity!